Friday, October 5, 2007

I am so in love with prague! It is such a beautiful city. not too big or too many people. I'm so sad that we only had 3 days and one of them was spend on a day excursion to Terezin. After experiencing a little bit of the city it is definitely on the top of my list for places to come back too. The Charles bridge is incredible. There are tons of street vendors selling photographs and jewlery. Every time I walked it a jazz band was playing on the bridge. Some of my hightlights from our time in Prague was spent on the bridge. We would buy lunch from a cafe and take it to eat on the bridge. We would buy bottles of wine and drink them on the bridge. It was Lauren's birthday yesterday so a bunch of us bought a bottle of champaigne and made a toast of the bridge. I loved the Charles Bridge.

Our time in Prague was not extremely busy which was nice. We had a scheduled walking tour in which our guide never showed so our professors led a impromptu walk. WE got to see amazing views of the city and had more free time to explore on our own.

Our hotel was incredible. It was in perfect location right at the end of the charles bridge. All the rooms had bath tubs that were clean so I definitely spent an evening relaxing taking a bath while listening to the rain outside. It was incredible. Another hightlight was going out for Lauren's bday. Prague is home to the biggest dance club in central europe. It had 5 different levels with different types of music playing on each level. We spent most of the night on the hip hop floor with the american music. It was a blast.

On Wednesday we spent the day in the town of Terezin. The whole town was a jewish ghetto during wwII and it was home to a prison camp which also served as a transportation center to contentration camps. IT was a very emotional day. WE visited a memorial museum. THey had tons of children's poetry, paintings, and photographs. THe museum gave a picture as to what life was like for those who lived there during the war. IT was very hard to walk through it. I was brought to tears on several occasions. WE also visited the prison and labor camp and saw what the living conditions were like. They were horrible. I have always read about the Holocause and seen videos on it but it is something completely different to visit the actual sights and see first hand what happened there. It was a humbling and moving day for our group. Next week we will be going to Auschwitz. I know that will be another emotional day.

We left this morning for the town of Olomouc which is still in prague. WE are staying here to split up the drive to Poland. Its been an interesting day. THis morning as i was packing my suitcase zippers broke off. I tried to put them back on but it wouldn't work. Fortunately right now my suitcase is staying shut but as soon as i try to open it i won't be able to close it again. So I have to borrow things for tonight and wear my same clothing tomorrow. I tried to find a luggage store here in olomouc but failed after looking for about 1/2 hour in the rain. WE had a walking tour this afternoon and of course it starting pouring. and i mean pouring. THere was thunder and lightening as well. WE tried to hide in a tunnle to stay dry but the wind was blowing the rain so hard that we all got soaking wet. and i am in my flip flops b/c i can't get to any of my other stuff. It has been an intersting travel day to say the least. I'm exhausted and wet. hopefully i will be able to find a new suitcase in krakow tomorrow. The Czech Republic has been great and Prague was by far my favorite city. I wish we could spend longer there. I guess I will just have to come back!

No comments: